Scaling and root planing is one of the most effective, non-surgical ways to treat gum disease before it becomes severe. Scaling and root planing cleans between the gums and the teeth down to the roots.
Periodontal therapy will include detoxifying (reduced the embedded bacterial toxins) the root surface. We use the latest instruments, including ultrasonics, to reduce the toxin and bacterial levels to a point the immune system can control the infection.This is achieved by scaling and root planing. This process removes dental tartar from the surfaces of the teeth. We will also irrigate under the gum line with a prescription antimicrobial medicine.
Your active participation with removal of bacteria at home every day is critical to the control of your infection. We will assist you with specific instructions on effective bacterial (plaque) removal.
Scaling and root planing is a simple procedure that can work very well to stop gum disease. If you maintain good dental care after the procedure, the progression of your gum disease should stop, and your gums will heal and become firm and pink again in no time!
An explanation of Hygiene procedures
Periodontal Therapy/Deep Cleaning
(Scaling and root planing)
- A more advanced and detailed procedure to help control your infection.
- Will smooth off the embedded toxins (detoxify) the root surfaces and remove all calculus.
- The one to two-week sequence is critical to the quality of your healing.
- Postponing therapy will put you at risk for more permanent bone loss.
- Requires advanced skills by the Hygienist.
Six-week Therapy Appointment
- The most important appointment of the entire series.
- Full mouth repetitive therapy to disrupt the bacteria that has grown back.
- The Hygienist will provide oral irrigation.
- The Hygienist will collect data for the Doctor to evaluate your healing.
- The timing of this appointment is critical for the Doctor to get an accurate evaluation of your healing.
Supportive Periodontal Therapy
- The next phase of therapy.
- The disease-producing bacteria return in forty-five to ninety days.
- The Hygienist will disrupt the bacteria in the areas you are unable to reach.
- We will closely monitor your periodontal health to detect any recurrence of infection.
- This phase is mandatory in helping control your infection.
- The Hygienist will provide oral irrigation with the antimicrobial medication.